Video games or books? Are games harmful?


Well it doesn’t have to be one OR the other. Books are fantastic but let’s face it some video games are amazing!

Nonetheless it was interesting to read the comments from Douglas Gentile, a researcher into gaming addiction in children around the world. Although he found that 90% of kids have no serious problems that leaves 10% who are what he terms ‘pathological players’ – that’s a lot of kids so it is worth monitoring!

On the other hand he made the comment , “One thing we know is that there is no such thing as too much reading”. Now isn’t that a nice thing to read.

Advertisements

About braysbooksblog

Independent booksellers since 1969.
This entry was posted in Philip Bray. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Video games or books? Are games harmful?

  1. Justin says:

    As a gamer and a reader, this is a very tough question. Reading has been a massive part of my life since I was six – the best part of twenty years now. But depending on what book I’m reading and what game I’m playing at the time, my addiction to each fluctuates.

    As much as I love to see kids reading, it’s always tough to ask a kid to put their novel away during English class and focus on the task at hand!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s